Saturday 7 April 2012

My Thai Story

My Thai Story

My Thai Story

We all have a dream of how we would like our life to be but most of us compromise and settle for far less. I was guilty of the doing the same. Stuck in a rut. A burnt out and washed up police detective who drinks and smokes too much and was just letting life pass me by hoping one day it would all change and life would get better. On little more than an impulse I decide to leave my well paid job in England register my rather dull profile on a Thai internet dating site sell my house leave all my family and friends behind and go to live in Thailand. I must be mad its a crazy gamble to risk everything but I was prepared to do it. I met Jee a girl half my age. She comes from Udon Thani a place that I had never heard of in an area I knew nothing about the Isaan area in the Northeast of Thailand a girl who seemed to be everything that I was looking for and more. A strong quiet character who was prepared to give this old farang another chance at life. But and its a big but I know I am experiencing a culture shock. I feel lonely bored and unable to communicate. Im often confused and misunderstandings are an everyday occurrence. I dont know what Im doing here and I think Ive made a big mistake. The problem is I really quite like Jee. I find out things about myself as well as Jee. I start to embrace a Thai culture that I hadnt previously noticed as a tourist and have an understanding of sanuk (fun) and mai pen rai (never mind). I know its going to take me longer to come to terms with some other everyday things in Thai culture like eating frogs snails insects and bugs. Squatter type toilets that Im too scared to use because I dont know how. Driving on roads when everyone seems to know the rules except me. This is the story of stumbling upon and overcoming many cultural differences that face any Farang / Thai relationship but its also about discovering and embracing a Thai culture away from the bars beaches and bright lights of Phuket and Pattaya. This is a love story but as any farang in a relationship with a Thai lady will know its not just about two people its about a whole family and the community around them.


No comments:

Post a Comment